The recent statements by Boris Johnson and No.10 regarding Dominic Cummings’ trip to Durham have raised more questions than they’ve answered. There needs to be a proper independent investigation to get answers to these questions, rather than a trial by media.
The lack of an independent investigation should not stop us from getting answers to the outstanding question. Here are the key outstanding questions that Boris Johnson and Dominic Cummings need to answer:
- Why do Boris Johnson and Dominic Cummings consider that Cummings’ actions were in keeping with the Government guidance and the lockdown regulations. In particular, why do they consider that Cummings had a “reasonable excuse” (as is required by the lockdown regulations to leave your home)?
- Did Dominic Cummings seek advice from any part of government, either prior to or subsequent from, his trip to Durham on either the legality of his actions or whether he was in full adherence to the guidance in place at the time?
- Why were there not alterative arrangements for back-up childcare in / nearer to London that would have met the particular needs of Cummings’ son?
- Did Cummings and his family stop at any point during their trip from London to Durham?
- Is it the Government’s view that it is compliant with the Government guidance and the lockdown regulations for others in the same circumstances as Dominic Cummings to act in the same way? This is a yes/no question.
- Did Cummings, his wife and his son remain self-isolated throughout their stay in Durham?
- Why did Dominic Cummings visit Barnard Castle on 12 April? Why do Johnson and Cummings consider this trip to have been compliant with the Government guidance and the lockdown regulations?
- What steps has Boris Johnson taken to verify Dominic Cummings’ account?
- Why was the No.10 statement about police speaking to Cummings’ family inconsistent with Durham Constabulary’s statements?
- When did Boris Johnson / No.10 find out about Dominic Cummings’ trip to Durham? It appears that on 30 March No.10 told the press that Dominic Cummings was self-isolating at home when he was in fact in Durham. Will No.10 publish any state ments that were issued in relation to Dominic Cummings on 30 March? What information did No.10 base its statements on and who was responsible for them?
Omar Salem writes in a personal capacity.